Google loves headlines – the meta title is an important ranking factor for a reason. It`s important to know how to write compelling headlines. Shared posts only show the headline and maby an image. It`s your only chance to grab the audience attention. Put some time into that part. Email marketers are split testing different headlines all day to increase open rates. Headlines are the ultimate challenge in marketing. Read through my tips your next post will get a lot more buzz:
5 Mistakes we all made and avoid now:
- The headline is boring. Read it – would you click on it – does it make you curious? No? Kick it.
- Too general – make it as specific as possible. Attract the right audience and laser focus your content
- Too long – If the headline is a full paragraph with like 50 words you simply wasted the best spot in your post.
- Lack of simplicity – effective communication is straight to the point
- Not urgent – give a sense of urgency and promt the reader to act immediately
Those 5 things are easy to follow but at least one aspect will apply to nearly every headline we have written. Improve as much as possible.
Great headlines that are proven to work
It`s always a word switching brainstorm with [goal] [benefit] [timeframe]
Following this concept:
- How To <benefit> …In Less Than <timeframe>
- How we increased <benefit> in X days
- 10 simple steps to <benefit>
- Are you still using <competitor>? Take advantage of <benefit>
- Who Else Wants To <benefit> In Only <timeframe>?
- What Everybody Should Know About How To <benefit>
- <no Of Steps/tips> To <benefit>
- Great New Discovery Helps You <benefit>
- To People Who Want To <benefit> — But Can’t Get Started
- Free Report Reveals… <no. of steps/tips> To <benefit>
- Finally Discovered…The Secret Of <goal> In Just <timeframe>
- Thousands Now <benefit> Who Never Thought They Could
Those are pretty agressive marketing headlines. Take care that your visitor does not get the feeling that he clicked on a spam link. If it screams “I`m an advertisment” you already lost. Focus your headline on the actual content – The best headlines won`t work if the post content is unrelated.
Let`s look at a few proven headlines from the health/fitness niche – read through it and you quickly get a feeling how it`s done:
- Beat Holiday Weight Gain: 100+ Simple Ways
- Fight Flab & Win: Blast 250 Calories in Just 20 Minutes
- The Anti-Stress Diet: 30 Days To A Calmer, Slimmer You
- Whittle Your Middle: Flatten & Firm Fast!
- Double Your Calorie Burn: Our Amazing Breakthrough Plan!
- Lose Inches All Over: No Machines, No Weights, No Sweat!
- The Addictive Fitness Trend That Will Reshape Your Body (It Works!)
- Drop Those Last Few Pounds: 6 Simple Strategies
- Shrink Your Belly & Lift Your Butt (No Surgery Required)
- Burn 500+ Calories: 4 Outdoor Workouts You’ll Love
- 24 Tasty No-Guilt Snacks
99 BONUS headlines
Here are 99 best selling headlines – Each with an intentional and psychological analysis:
Psychological Headline Strategies
Follow one or more strategies when writing your headline. Focus as much as possible on those attributes.
Surprise – How to – Question – Curiosity – Negatives – Audience Referencing – Numbers – Specificity
Ninja trick to learn from experts
Another great way to find good headlines is your local newspaper kiosk. A magazine only has this one chance to sell. If the headlines is weak sales go down. There are marketing pro`s brainstorming and spending hours to create a killer headline that sells the latest issue. Where else can we get high-end expert input for free? Keep that in mind next time you buy a magazine and adapt it to your next post.
External follow up articles:
How much time do you spend to create great headlines? What are your tricks to write great headlines? Leave a comment – I`m looking forward to your input.